The Cucumburt: A Cocktail of Cucumber and Yoghurt
You can leave out the gin for a mocktail version or leave out both the gin and tonic for an entirely virtuous yoghurt drink.
- 100g cucumber
- 2-3cm piece of root ginger
- 5-6 mint leaves
- 2-3 tblsp loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 30 ml gin (I used Gordon’s London Dry Gin) – omit if making a mocktail
- 200g natural yoghurt
- 1 tblsp honey
- approx. 200ml tonic water
You’ll also need:
- A juicer, a blunt-ish instrument, such as a pestle, for muddling, a small strainer and a couple of glasses. A blender is also useful but not essential.
- Juice the cucumber and ginger.
- Add the mint and coriander leaves, lime juice, cucumber and ginger juice, and gin (if using) to a cocktail shaker or glass, and muddle to release the oils from the leaves. You could also use a mortar and pestle for this.
- Place the yoghurt and honey into a blender or food processor and strain in the muddled juices, discarding the leaves. Blend to combine. Alternatively you can whisk the ingredients together very well by hand. It will look rather like pale green milk.
- Divide the drink between two glasses, top up with tonic water and enjoy.
- As mentioned above, omit the gin for a mocktail or omit both the gin and tonic for a straight yoghurt drink. You could also add a small amount of flat leaf parsley to this for a more herbal taste.
- Cocktail or mocktail for 2.