Spud’s Own Gingerbread Men
The Dry Ingredients:
- 280g self-raising flour
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of ground cloves
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt
The Not-So-Dry Ingredients:
- 1 tblsp fresh root ginger, grated
- 50g demerara sugar
- 50g black strap molasses or treacle
- 90g unsalted butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and flour 2 large baking sheets
- Sift the flour along with the other dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter or margarine and sugar using a wooden spoon or mixer.
- Add the molasses and combine well.
- Beat the egg lightly and then beat it into the sugar mixture.
- Stir in the grated ginger.
- Gradually fold the dry ingredients into the mixture. When fully incorporated, you should have a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll to a thickness of about 0.25in.
- Cut the gingerbread men (or other shapes) using a floured pastry cutter.
- Carefully transfer the men to the prepared baking sheets (for this I used a palette knife).
- If you like, you can decorate with raisins or nuts for eyes etc. or wait until afterwards and ice them or give them that coat of chocolate.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. They’ll puff up a little and crack slightly, but they shouldn’t spread and should be faintly springy to the touch.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Makes about 25 x 4in tall gingerbread men