Halloumi Cheese with Portobello Mushrooms
My good friend Cheb was the first to introduce me both to halloumi and the tasty combination of halloumi and portobello mushrooms. I’ve added some garlic and thyme to the mushrooms, but leave out if you prefer.
- 1x250g block of halloumi
- Butter for frying
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- About 2 tblsps butter
- 1 clove garlic
- About 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Olive oil for coating
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Mince the garlic and mix it with the thyme leaves and butter.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean, remove the stems, brush the caps with some olive oil and spread the gill-side with the garlic butter mixture.
- Roast the mushrooms, gill side up, in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until they start to turn golden brown around the edges.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, heat some more butter in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Cut the halloumi into slices about 0.5cm to 1cm thick and fry in the butter until golden, about 5 minutes each side.
- Serve the mushrooms and halloumi with wedges of lemon and sprinkle with the juice before eating.
- Makes a snack for 4 or add some fresh tomato salad, ciabatta rolls and maybe some kalamata olives for lunch or brunch.